Module 7: Two Dimensional Shapes
In Module 7 of Grade 5:
- Understand that two-dimensional shapes are put into categories based on their attributes (side lengths, angle measures, parallel vs. perpendicular sides), and that shapes can belong to multiple categories.
- Identify the various categories in which a specific shape may belong.
- Students can define two-dimensional shapes based on their attributes (e.g., a rhombus is a quadrilateral with four equal sides).
- Classify shapes according to common attributes.
- Draw or construct, using geoboards and drawing on a coordinate plane, specific shapes according to the definitions provided, attributes described, or categories given.
- Understand that there are terms that have broad definitions that encapsulate a wide variety of shapes, e.g., polygons.
- Classify shapes in a hierarchy of broad definitions to specific definitions
- Be able to use a graphic organizer to compare and organize shapes
- Be able to classify two-dimensional figures based on properties.
- Construct and categorize figures into a variety of graphic organizers, beyond traditional Venn diagrams.
- Understand that a figure can belong to various categories.
Please spend 10-15 minutes per night working on your basic multiplication facts. Students who do not have a ready recall of the basic facts will struggle to complete assignments in 5th grade. Invest now to make math easier later.
Our Textbooks and How to Logon!
We have a new math website with our new text books.
See your child's text book, work book (bench mark practice book), intervention programs and math games!!!!
Please read the log in carefully before proceeding to the link: http://www-k6.thinkcentral.com
State: Pick Florida from the drop down menu
District: Pick Polk Co School District Bartow 33831 from the drop down menu
School: Pick Wendell Watson from the drop down menu
Log in: Student email (...@mypolkschools.net)
If you need to access student's login, please contact us.
Online Florida Intervention.
Once you have clicked on this logo,
choose Intervention Grade 5.
Reflex Math helps students of all ability levels to develop fluency with their basic facts in addition, subtraction, multiplication and division.
TenMarks is a math program we use within the classroom. This program allows students to build deep conceptual understanding and procedural fluency in state standards. When students complete assignments they earn certificates for their progress!
Khan Academy is extremely useful! Take a brief moment to create a login name and password. Please be sure to write this information down. Once you have logged in, the student's math teacher can add them to a class list. This program allows students to search a skill and watch a video, teaching that specific skill. This can be valuable for homework or weaknesses. Try to have students practice the skills within the present unit listed above.
CLICK ON ANY ONE OF THESE ICONS TO GET STARTED!